Is it just me, or has everyone started to put on their baker’s hats and started baking bread? I have always dreamt of making my own bread but was too intimidated to start. Then I found this Simple Homemade Bread recipe from Leah Itsines and took it as a sign to buy some yeast and give it a try.
Ingredients in Super Simple Homemade Bread Recipe
- All-Purpose Flour: Don’t worry you do not need to purchase a fancy bread flour for this recipe. You can rely on your good ole’ all-purpose flour and still have a delicious loaf of bread.
- Yeast: I used active dry yeast in this recipe although you can choose to use either active dry years or instant yeast. Both help to provide an airy, light texture. The main difference is in how you use them: active dry yeast needs to be dissolved in water before using, while instant yeast can be mixed right into dry ingredients.
- Water: When using the active dry yeast, as mentioned above, you will need to activate in warm water. Give the yeast about a minute or two in the water before it is fully dissolved and then you will be able to add your flour.
- Additional Toppings: After the dough has had one to two hours to rise then you will be able to mix in any toppings/herbs that you desire. This is where you can start to use your imagination. I decided to go with rosemary and oregano. I then topped off the loaf with some nice large pieces of sea salt. In other batches, I have used Trader Joe’s Everything but the Bagel Seasoning, Cheddar cheese and salt, and then just a plain loaf topped with salt.
Super Simple Homemade Bread
- Mixing Bowl
- Kitchen Towel/Cloth
- Oven Safe Pot with Lid
- 3 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1.5 Cups Warm Water
- 1 Tsp Active Dry Yeast
Additional Toppings (Optional)
- 1 Pinch Sea Salt
- 1 Pinch Rosemary
- 1 Pinch Oregano
- Mix warm water with yeast until it dissolves.
- Add flour to the yeast and water mixture. Knead the bread until it forms into a perfect little dough ball. Place a kitchen towel/cloth over the bowl. Leave to rise for 2-3 hours.
- Pre-heat oven to 430 degrees fahrenheit.
- Remove dough from bowl combine in herbs, and shape the dough into a ball on an oven safe dish. Sprinkle salt flakes on the top of the dough and cover the pot.
- Cook in the oven for 30 minutes covered. Remove the lid and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Let cool and dig into your beautiful loaf of bread.
If you are looking for a simple bread recipe then this is a must try! Post your bread picture on instagram and give me a shout out @danielleJoyFit. I love to see what all of my subscribers are baking up 🙂